Thursday, May 1, 2008

Minnesota Summers=Road Construction

This past week my drive to work has gotten even more enjoyable thanks to MnDot and there wonderful maintenence of our sucky Minnesota highways.


It all started with the American Blvd bridge in Bloomington which is a highly traveled road to my place of work and you dont really realize the impact it has until it is gone and/or is not an option. Dont get me wrong I think that bridge safety is important especially after what happened on the 35W bridge but come on. When is enough, enough. This bridge is pretty much brand new and now they are tearing it up to avoid conflict. I see the rationale but where do you draw the line.

Road construction usually means detours which also mean cluster fucks. Now that American Blvd is closed there is a nice little detour to 82nd St from Lyndale which is only two lanes both ways. American blvd is three lanes one way. You do the math here and tell me how much fun I am having. I sit through the one stop light on average twice daily before actually being able to pass through and begin merging over to get into my office parking lot. Yesterday some little fucker driving an old Saturn flicked me off. Well as many of you know who I am this didnt sit well with me at 8:30am. I had visions of running this kid down and pummeling him into the pavement until he begged for mercy but instead I just gave him the finger back and continued to point at him and shout vulgarities. Some might call this road rage...I call it a normal day. I dont really understand why this just burns me so bad that I just want to get midevil on someones ass but it does. I am sure some of you feel the same way...I hope. Otherwise I could have a problem.

Well now that I have a few of you shaking your head let me proceed. That was just my way into work. Now the way home...

5 p.m. hits and it is the cluster fuck of all cluster fucks and I kid you not. It is almost comical on the right day but most it just pisses me right off. The cars are lined up for blocks and you can usually expect to wait a solid amount of time just to exit our parking lot. The other day it took me 15 g-damn minutes to get from our parking lot to 35W. For a mental picture this is about a solid pitching wedge away yet it took me 15 minutes. I could have ran back and forth 10 times before I could reach 35W once in my car. Absolutely ridiculous.

494 has been equally retarded because 35W North is closed and is backed up even more than usual. On Monday it was backed up over the river bridge (which is beyond the airport)and I had never seen that before. After I regained my bearings after almost rear ending the car in front of me due to the immediate stop that was a chain reaction I had plenty of time to calm my shaky hands after the near death experience as I sat in traffic bumper to bumper style.

I can only hope it gets better but I am sure it will get worse. Once they finish what they are working on now, it will be something else. Its always something else, you know it, I know it and they know it.

In Minnesota you have two types of driving...winter roads and road construction. Hope the rest of you are having as much fun as I am and if you read about me in the paper or see me on the news regarding a road rage incident in the future, I apologize to my family and friends for the embarrasment in advance.


No comments: